Become a member of People First
If you are an individual with a learning disability or if your organisation is learning-disability-led and you wish to apply to become a member of People First, then please click on the relevant link below to choose the method by which you want to apply.
Via online form
If you wish to apply online to become a member of People First, then please click on the appropriate link below or the relevant "apply" button further down this page:
If you do not identify with either of the above but are an individual, group or organisation who simply wishes to subscribe to our newsletter, then please click the "Become a supporter" at the bottom of this page or click here.
Please read the benefits of becoming a member of People First (Self Advocacy) below. You will then find buttons to our online joining forms at the bottom of the page.
If you would like to talk to us first then email [email protected]
All applications to become a member of People First (Self Advocacy) are agreed by the Management Committee Membership Sub-group
You will be able to:
- Vote at our Triennial General Meetings - (this means meetings once every three years) and be able to put yourself forward to be a member of the Management Committee. Voting at our Triennial General Meeting means that you can vote for who should be on the Management Committee. It also means that you can vote on resolutions, these are ideas about the work and future plans for People First.
- Receive important information - through the website, e-newsletters, social media, meetings and events. You can find out what people are doing around the country, hear about important policy updates and consultations, and find out the views and experiences of other members.
- Connect with others - through one-to-one peer and self-advocacy support, peer support and self-advocacy groups, meetings and events.
- Campaign - through sharing your experiences and ideas to feed in to a collective voice and a force for change.
Apply below clicking the Individual Membership "Apply Now" button
For self-advocacy organisations and groups
You will be able to:
- Be part of a user-led network – through being a part of a network of self-advocacy organisations you can find out what others are doing around the country, and share your information with others and join forces on important campaigns.
- Vote at our Triennial General Meetings - (this means meetings once every three years) and members of your group will be able to put themselves forward to be a member of the Management Committee. Voting at our Triennial General Meeting means that you can vote for who should be on the Management Committee. It also means that you can vote on resolutions, these are ideas about the work and future plans for People First.
- Receive information about policy and campaigns - this can be by email or by post. This will be made up of important information and news, information about consultations that are happening and information about campaigning events and demonstrations.
- Have FREE access to our Picture Bank - our self-advocacy group members have free access to training and discounted rates for training.
- Have a platform for your group – through our newsletter, website and social media channels you can tell others about your work and experiences. You can also feed into national campaigns and consultations.
- Receive advice and support – through our projects and capacity building work you can have access to support that helps set up or strengthen your group or organisation and get advice on things like fundraising, how to be more user-led, campaigning, and making big decisions in an organisation.
Apply below clicking the Self-Advocacy Group/Organisation Membership "Apply Now" button
If you are an individual with a learning disability, then use this form to apply to join People First as an individual member.
Self-Advocacy Group/Organisation membership
If your group or organisation is learning-disability led, then please use this form to apply to join People First as an organisation member.