About this report
In 2015, People First conducted its own research through the Cuts Impact Action Now project, which was funded by Trust for London. We looked at what impact both local authority and national cuts were having on local people with learning difficulties.
People First worked together with Barnet People’s Choice at Barnet Centre for Independent Living on the project, which was funded by Trust for London.
We conducted 35 in depth interviews with people with learning difficulties, 3 focus groups, and 3 interviews with local service managers. The aim of this research was to look at people as a whole, seeing what the full impact is of all of the changes that are happening.
The main things we found were:
- Assessments and reviews seemed to be done in a way that did not really look at the needs of people with learning difficulties.
- People did not understand what was happening: they were not given information about how decisions are made and therefore could not really take part in decisions about their lives.
- How people were affected by cuts to benefits, support and services and having to pay more money for care and support.
- Support was seen as very important when going through assessments and after assessments, to deal with cuts and changes.
- People know what independence looks like and what they need.
The final report was launched at Inclusion Barnet's Annual General Meeting (AGM) in January 2016.